Simons Construction were using IBM Lotus Notes as their primary email system for over 10 years and had been looking at options to bring their current infrastructure more up to date. Simons Construction opted to ‘move to the cloud’ and had looked into Google Mail but discovered some of Google’s limitations especially around their IBM Lotus Notes database applications. They needed a solution that would match and do more than their existing environment, integrate easily and be a solution that has room for growth and scope for future development. Simons Construction contacted Polymorph after a response to an extremely successful marketing campaign ‘migrating from IBM Lotus Notes to Microsoft Office 365’.
Following an initial design and planning workshop with Simons Construction, the following high-level objectives were defined for the project:
- Provision of a messaging system to support a site-resilient model
- Provide easier access to mail for remote users
- Creation of an improved mobile-mail solution
- Remove maintenance of messaging system away from Simons Construction to a cloud-based solution
- To take advantage of the new features available in the latest version of Microsoft Office
- Remove the upheaval caused by regular moving to new versions of Microsoft Office every two or three years.
Encouraged by Polymorph’s IBM and Microsoft knowledge as well as our high-level of experience migrating small medium and large businesses from IBM Lotus Notes to Office 365 we provided a strategic plan to migrate mail from Lotus Domino servers and Lotus Notes clients to an Office 365 cloud based solution with Outlook 2013 clients. Polymorph’s staged approach to migrate Simons Construction 250 users and six Domino servers was to:
- Install and configure Office 365 for messaging
- Instigate a period of coexistence and associated management of migration / users
- Migrate Mail and Calendars from Domino environment to Office 365 environment
- Support Simons Group in their deployment of the full Office Pro Plus suite to user machines
Simons Construction choice of migrating to Microsoft Office 365 has significantly:
- Improved remote and mobile access to email from any location
- Eliminated the issue and concerns of mailbox sizes
- Enhanced communication and collaboration through Lync Online
- Allowed for further development to migrate existing IBM Lotus Notes databases and project folders to SharePoint
- Opened new windows to integrate Yammer and OneDrive in the future within their organisation
- Removed the need for future Microsoft Office upgrade projects as Office suite now will be automatically updated
Simons Group Ltd with offices in Lincoln and London are a privately owned property solutions business. Established in 1944, Simons has been offering property solutions tailored to specific needs of their clients for nearly 70 years. They focus on retail, distribution and health.